Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Alternative & Natural Mosquito Bite Prevention: Spring Showers & Warmer Months Breed Pesky Mosquitos

Each year I dread the spring rains and humid weather; it means mosquito breeding season and really bad, red welt-like bumps from mosquito bites. I have had severe allergies to mosquito bites and often find myself with annoying bites from grabbing the mail or even doing laundry in the garage.

With the increase of west nile viral cases and increased mosquito populations; it is important to take all the necessary measures to naturally prevent mosquito bites and the sting that follows.

I've luckily found a great mosquito bite prevention routine that has helped me tremendously. My secret is varied and consists of dietary changes, supplementation, essential oils, strategic planting of mosquito repellent plants as well as old wise remedies.

I try to avoid eating bananas if I am going to be outside- the mosquitoes are attracted to the way in which out bodies process the banana oil.

I take non-scented garlic pills each day.

I use skin so soft lotion daily. Before this application, I actually mix up a body spritzer that contains a combo of rubbing alcohol or witch hazel mixed with pure lavender essential oil. The lavender acts as a naturally repellent in conjunction with the alcohol and it smells great. Also dabbing vanilla extract on pulse points is helpful.

Planting citronella, marigolds, lavender and basil near doors, walkways, patios, pools etc... anywhere you may gather outside helps to naturally keep the mosquitoes at bay.

My grandmother has always suggested rubbing a dryer sheet on my legs and arms and I have found this helpful on hikes and long walks.

I also am a big fan of Quantum's Buzz Away Extreme products. They have a natural insect repellent that repels mosquitoes, gnats, blackflies and even ticks. The ingredients contain soybean oil, castor oil, cedarwood oil, citronella oil, peppermint oil, and lemongrass oil. It is sweat proof and waterproof and does not smell like mosquito repellent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Have a question about preventing mosquito bites?

Visit our On-Line Store to
purchase All Natural Insect Repellent: Buzz Away at Healthy Being Products Store

Sign up for our free daily tips newsletter list:


No comments: