Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Healthy Breakfast Recipe: Hearty Apple Walnut Oatmeal

Sometimes mornings are hard to whip up a good healthy, hearty and nourishing breakfast. 

My own standard staples are healthy protein, fruit smoothie and boiled eggs with fresh fruit and an herbal tea.

As we start to get into the fall and winter months, I start to add a heartier breakfast menu:  Oatmeal.  The good kind- the steel cut, original oatmeal least processed.

Many clients of mine complain about the prep time of steel cut oatmeal, but I've figured out a way to cut down the prep time.  I prep an overnight soak - I soak the oatmeal in hot water for at least 6-8 hours.  Then it only takes about 2 minutes to prep them in the am.


I'd like to share with you one of my favorite Oatmeal recipes:

2 cups water
1/8 tbs himalayan salts
1/4 cup pre-soaked steel cut oatmeal
1/8 cup fresh ground flax seeds
1/8 cup chia seeds
1 organic green apple, chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts)
1/3 cup dried fruit (cranberries, blueberries, huckleberries)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp agave nectar or raw honey

It's yummy, it's protein rich, it's heart healthy and it'll super charge your day!  Enjoy!

No comments: