Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Ebook: Lymphedema Management - How To Manage Lymphedema, Leg Swelling and Edema from Cancer, Vascular Insufficiency, Bug Bites, Obesity and Liposuction

In thinking about how I can further help my community and reach out to more individuals who are managing Lymphedema across the US and in other countries it became clear that I needed to educate the masses.  I call it my "One to Many" approach and this year I have set forth in taking steps to educate and reach more people facing Lymphedema diagnosis and who are successfully or unsucessfully managing Lymphedema in their daily lives.  I will be conducting webinars, am writing booklets and ebooks and a website dedicated to Lymphedema education. 

  • If you have battled and beat cancer and have Lymphedema - I want to help you.
  • If you are dealing with vascular insufficiencies and have severe swelling and Lymphedema - I want to help you.
  • If you are bed bound by extreme obesity and are carrying a lot of excess fluid - I want to help you.
  • If you had a bug bite or spider bite that resulted in a swollen limb- I want to help you.
  • If you were born with an improper functioning lymphatic system - I want to help you.
 You are the audience I want to educate and hear from!  I work daily with individuals who bemoan the process and the medical world that ignores their symptoms, mistreats and misdiagnoses their conditions until the advance to a degree where there is no reversal possible or worse yet, see therapist who are ill trained or not credentialed who do further damage.  Education is key and this is at the heart of my mission this year.

I'd like to share with you the beginning of my EBOOK Forward:

My intention in writing this book is to share information with you, my reader, in an attempt to shed light on the lymphatic system and the disease we call Lymphedema.  I am a Naturopath and a Certified Lymphatic Drainage Therapist who specializes in working with all types of cases of lymphatic disorders.  One of those disorders that I more commonly misdiagnosed, mistreated or even neglected by the medical profession is Lymphedema. 

It has been my mission in my wellness practice to convey as much information to my client and patient base as is humanly possible about their lymphatic system and how it functions and works for them and in the worse case scenarios, against them.  The lymphatic system is the least discussed, addressed and educated system in out entire body.  While we know more about it than the function of the brain, there is minimal literature, clinical research and documented information about the role and function of our lymphatic system in key diseases and disorders that helps educate both our medical community and our community as a whole. 

Over the years I have worked with cancer patients, bariatric patients, morbidly obese patients and patients who suffer from blood clots and chronic venous insufficiency.  Part of my care plan with these individuals involves lymphatic drainage therapy, wound care, compression therapy and education.  The education with each individual and sometimes their family members, begins with showing them the diagram of the lymphatic system and then a simple yet thorough explanation about the lymphatic system, how it works, why it isn’t working for my them and where the malfunction or disorder has originated based on their diagnosis and then set for the steps and plan to create and begin their healing process.  The education pulls together secondary or tertiary symptoms that are all inner related and explains why they feel how they feel and serves to further explain the interconnected and symbiotic relationship of our body.

It is the education that I have found most valuable long term and most lacking for these individuals.  Routinely I hear my clients say:


  • “Why didn’t the doctor explain to me the risk factor of a masectomy?”
  • “I wish someone would have explained that removing several lymph nodes would increase my likelihood of developing lymphedema in the future”
  • “I know caner is bad and doctors want to get you on their protocol as quickly as possible with surgery then chemo and then radiation, but why don’t they sit down and tell you about the role of the lymphatic system and how to support this system so that healing can be maximized”
  • “I thought you only have 20 lymph nodes or so in the body…. You really have 800-1200??”
  • “The plastic surgeon didn’t tell me my lymphatic system would be damaged by liposuction”  
  •  "No one told me a blood clot in your leg may indicate a situation where blood flow and lymph flow is greatly reduced causing a pooling of excess blood that is a visible rusty color on the skin and that is an indicator of early stages of Lymphedema,”
  • “Why don’t the doctors tell you anything about the lymphatic system?  Do they even know anything about it?”

If you are like them, I know you will find within this book and the glossary in the back, an invaluable resource of information and reference guide that you can refer to along your healing journey.

I have witnessed some amazing changes in my clients lives through education and some lifestyle changes that address appropriate lymphedema therapies, exercises and nutrition and have been pleasantly surprised by cases that have reversed in ways the clinicians said would never be possible.  Your body is an amazing healing entity that is seeking balance.  By understanding your body, how it works and how you can help it become more balanced, you no longer are controlled by your diagnosis.  It is my hope to empower you to be more in control of you situation and not feel like you body is spiraling out of your control.  If you follow along with the recommendations, the diet and exercises in this book, I know you will feel so much better and will achieve some life changing results.

                                                           ~~~

If you are suffering from Lymphedema or believe you may be- please I welcome you to call or email me.  Please connect with me on social media as well - I try to provide a lot of great education resources and info on these forums as well:

Twitter: HealthbyMelissa
 

No comments: